$8.99 - $
Purchased: 32 Times
LDR 531 Week 1 Quiz -
1.According to Blake and Mouton, effective leaders are most likely to facilitate subordinate growth and development by having
- a high concern for the task and a moderate concern for relationships
- a moderate concern for the task and a high concern for relationships
- a high concern for both the task and relationships
- a moderate concern for both the task and relationships
2.Which of the following is most likely to be a drawback of highly conscientious people according to the Big Five Model?
- They focus on learning instead of performing a job
- They do not adapt well to changing contexts
- They emphasize excessively on being creative
- They are unlikely to engage in numerous risky behaviors such as smoking and drinking
3.________ is an extrinsic means of motivation.
4.Which of the following personality traits indicates the degree to which a person is unemotional and pragmatic and believes that ends can justify means?
5. The _____ is a personality assessment model that taps basic dimensions which encompass most of the significant variation in human personality, namely extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, emotional stability, and openness to experience.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Big Five Model
- Keirsey Temperament Sorter
- Birkman Method
6. The ________ pay plan has long been popular as a means of compensating production workers by paying a fixed sum for each unit of production completed.
- profit sharing
7. With reference to John Holland’s personality-job fit theory, people belonging to the investigative type prefer
- activities that involve helping and developing others
- ambiguous and imaginative activities that allow creative expression
- physical activities that require skill, strength, and coordination
- activities that involve thinking, organizing, and understanding
8. Milton Rokeach created the Rokeach Value Survey (RVS) which consisted of two sets of values, namely ________ values and ________ values.
- fluid; stable
- instrumental; terminal
- flexible; essential
- flexible; enduring
9. Supportive leadership is most likely to result in what outcome for subordinates?
- Stronger satisfaction with the leader
- Better performance by subordinates
- Stronger organizational commitment
- Better coordination among subordinates
10. With reference to the job characteristics model, which of the following defines skill variety?
- The degree to which a job requires a variety of different activities tapping different abilities
- The degree to which a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
- The degree to which work activities generate direct and clear information about performance
- The degree to which a job provides the worker freedom in scheduling and procedure
11. Which of the following is the least desirable approach for developing subordinates?
- Provide constructive feedback about effective and ineffective behavior
- Provide detailed instructions on how to carry out each assignment
- Ask specific questions to help the person analyze his or her performance
- Provide opportunities to learn from experience
12. Which dimension of the Big Five Model is a measure of reliability?
- Emotional stability
13. Which of the following statements is true regarding a merit-based pay plan?
- A typical merit-based pay plan provides no base salary and pays the employee only for what he or she produces.
- Unions typically resist merit-based pay plans.
- It is also called competency-based pay plan.
- It bases pay levels on how many skills employees have or how many jobs they can do.
14. Those with a ________ personality identify opportunities, show initiative, take action, and persevere until meaningful change occurs, compared to others who passively react to situations.
- high self-monitoring
- type A
- high Mach
15. Which of the following is an instrumental value according to the Rokeach value survey?
- Social recognition
- Economic success
- Personal discipline
- Meaning in life
16. With reference to the Hofstede’s Framework for Assessing Cultures, ________ emphasizes a tight social framework in which people expect others in groups of which they are a part to look after them and protect them.
- long-term orientation
- uncertainty avoidance
17. Which of the following guidelines for recognizing an employee’s performance was recommended?
- Provide recognition only for outstanding performance
- Provide more recognition to people in essential, high-visibility jobs
- Actively look for effective behavior or contributions to recognize
- Give praise in private to avoid embarrassing the recipient
18. Which of the following terms describes basic convictions that “a specific mode of conduct or end-state of existence is personally or socially preferable to an opposite mode of conduct”?
19. Which of the following is Theory X consistent with?
- The use of recognition and achievements to motivate employees
- The principles of participative management
- The vertical enhancement of jobs to enhance autonomy
- The autocratic style of managing people
20. Alex was sent to Beijing to help local managers solve the problem of growing worker dissatisfaction at their manufacturing facility located in the city. As part of his visit, he decided to have a town hall meeting with the workers to understand the problems that they were facing and the reasons for their discontent. The turnout at the meeting was substantial; however, when asked for their opinions and suggestions, the crowd fell silent. As a result, Alex was unable to determine the reason for employee dissatisfaction. Which of the following, if true, best explains this situation?
- The employees are genuinely concerned about improving their lot.
- A small portion of the workers at the facility belong to the Baby Boomers generation.
- Alex was sent to Beijing as he was one of the few employees conversant in the local language.
- There is an unequal distribution of power in the company.
21. Adam Sears is an assembly-line employee with Swenson Motors. Though Adam is popular among his supervisors and colleagues, Adam experiences low morale and lack of motivation. He feels frustrated that his job is restricted to fixing nuts and bolts on the car parts. He fears that he has no chances of advancing in his career as he cannot completely assemble a car. Which of the following is true with regard to Adam?
- Adam’s job has high task complexity.
- Adam’s job has low role definition.
- Adam’s job has a high span of control.
- Adam’s job has low task identity.
22. .Which of the following refers to the tendency to be arrogant, have a grandiose sense of self-importance, require excessive admiration, and have a sense of entitlement?
23. Which of the following refers to bottom-line conclusions individuals have about their capabilities, competence, and worth as a person?
- Core self-evaluation