$8.99 - $
Purchased: 44 Times
OPS 571 Week 2 Quiz -
1. In the pull system, which of the following is the partner that begins the process of pulling?
- Quality control personnel
- Executive management
2. Which of the following operations consulting tools are used in the cost impact and payoff analysis stage in the operations consulting process?
- SPC tools and bottleneck analysis
- Customer surveys and gap analysis
- Decision trees and stakeholder analysis
- Plant audits and statistical tools
3. Which of the following production process terms best describes a stage in a multiple stage process that limits the capacity of the overall process?
4. Which of the following is a principle of reengineering?
- Organize around the tasks
- Capture information many times, at the source and where it is interpreted
- Treat geographically dispersed resources as though they were centralized
- Integrate the outcomes of parallel activities
5. Which of the following operations consulting tools provide summary performance updates for specific processes and are generally presented in graphical form with color coding of trend lines and alarms?
- Decision trees
- Stakeholder analysis
- Process dashboards
- Responsibility charts
6. Which of the following are possible examples of cycle times?
- Time that a part waits in queue
- Time it takes for an instructor to grade an exam
- Time required to produce a batch of parts
- Time to set up a new assembly line
7. What is the term that refers to “the fundamental rethinking and radical redesign of business processes to achieve dramatic improvements in critical, contemporary measures of performance, such as cost, quality, service, and speed” (as cited in Jacobs & Chase, 2011, p. 461).
- Operations consulting process
- Continuous improvement
8. Which of the following is a key metric associated with value stream mapping?
- Defects per million operations
- Lead time
- Product demand
- Fixed costs
9. Which of the following is one of the major types of stakeholders impacted by most consulting projects?
- Board of directors
- International government regulators
- Other consultants
10. Lean production seeks to achieve high volume production using which of the following?
- Minimize utilization
- Minimize inventory of raw materials
- Maximize inventory of working process
- Maximize capacity
11. In contrast to TQM, what approach seeks radical change through innovation?
- JIT distribution
- Project management
- Lean manufacturing
12. In setting up a kanban control system, you need to determine the number of kanban card sets needed. If the average number of units demanded is 1,000 per hour, the lead time to replenish the order for this item is 10 hours, the container size is 5 units, and the safety stock is estimated to be 5% of the expected demand, what is the number of kanban card sets needed?
13. Which of the following is a situation that likely will yield economies of scale?
- Large factory with dedicated capacity that is able to produce twice the number of units as locally demanded
- Factory that fully utilizes dedicated resources for information technology, material handling, and administrative support
- Company with factories in multiple countries that produces products for local demand
- Factory that produces low volume, customized products
14. The basic notion of economies of scale assumes which of the following?
- A piece of equipment with twice the capacity of another piece typically costs twice as much to purchase and to operate
- Total cost of output drops as volume increases
- Average cost per unit of output drops as a plant gets larger and volume increases
- Two plants can be operated at the same cost as a single plant
15. To implement a flow process in developing a lean system, a firm might do which of the following?
- Reduce setup/changeover time
- Eliminate some fixed costs
- Improve capacity utilization
- Build product in anticipation of demand
16. An advantage of a make to stock process is which of the following?
- All units of output are unique
- Rapid delivery of a standard product
- It responds directly to customer orders
- It allows the firm to avoid inventory costs
17. According to Little’s law, which of the following can be used to estimate inventory?
- Set up time times throughput rate
- Process velocity times flow time
- Process time times cycle time
- Throughput rate times flow time
18. Which of the following is a factor that causes a diseconomy of scale?
- Increased utilization
- Increased transportation costs
- Increased total operating costs
- Increased product value and prices
19. If the run time for a batch of parts is 25 minutes on a machine, and the setup time is 75 minutes, which of the following is the operation time?
- 3 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 100 minutes
- 75 minutes
20. Which of the following production process terms best describes the situation when activities in a stage of production must stop because there is no work?
- Multiple stage processing
21. Which of the following terms refers to a special type of flowcharting tool that is valuable for the development of lean processes?
- Kanban production control system
- JIT production
- Value stream mapping